Resume for Jennifer New | 2016
SUMMARY – Accomplished communicator and connector who is able to create and hold space for transformational change. Experienced working with visionaries to produce executable and creative projects.
WORK GOAL – My passion is to support systemic change in education and to help broaden our sense of education to include embodied experiences, such as project-based learning, movement, and mindfulness, in order to help people ground their lives in vitality and personal understanding.
- Co-founded and led nationally recognized program for graduate students focused on weaving public engagement into scholarship and teaching.
- Organized major academic symposia, including Energy Cultures in the Age of the Anthropocene and The Latino Midwest.
- Envisioned and produced Faculty Institute on Social Engagement in conjunction with The Downtown Project, A Hundred Years, University of Iowa, and University of Nevada-Las Vegas.
- Written, published, and provided design direction on three books published by leading presses. My books have been noted in The New York Times, People Magazine, and The Los Angeles Times, among others.
- Delivered talks and workshops on creativity at venues ranging from major universities and high schools, to a correctional facility and a pop-up speakeasy.
- Written for publications including Salon, The Boston Globe, and Rethinking Schools.
- Developed curriculum for clients including the Sarah Blakeley Foundation, PBS, Organic Valley, and Microsoft.
- Curated two exhibitions.
- Co-directed two short documentary films.
University of Iowa’s Obermann Center for Advanced Studies
Associate Director, 2016-present
Assistant Director, 2010-2016
Communications Coordinator, 2005-2007
Facilitate and communicate the work of an interdisciplinary research center at a major research university.
- Oversee all communications, including web, print, and social media.
- Organize symposia, workshops, and lecture series with faculty, detailing branding, scheduling, community partners, and marketing.
- Connect university and community partners to build collaborative experiences.
- Lead annual institute on public engagement for graduate students.
- Published three non-fiction books, each with strong visual storytelling components: Safari as a Way of Life (Chronicle Books, 2011), Drawing from Life: The Journal as Art (Princeton Architectural Press, 2005); and Dan Eldon: The Art of Life (Chronicle Books, 2001).
- Contributed personal essay to Our Choices, Our Lives: Unapologetic Writings about Abortion (iUniverse, 2004).
- Maintained blog, Mothers of Invention, for nearly a decade at jennifernew.wordpress.com.
- Teach weekly classes and one-on-one sessions that weave physical asana practice, meditation, breathwork, and self-witnessing.
- Lead workshops with an emphasis on individual well-being and the transformational process of yoga.
Curator & Exhibition Design
A Community of Writers, Old Capitol Museum, 2009
Dan Eldon: Images of War, Celebrations of Peace, 2005-2007
- Selected content and designed exhibition to tell stories about a) a collage artist-journalist and b) the world’s most celebrated creative writing program.
- Developed public programming to accompany exhibits.
Synapse Learning Design
- Established small educational consulting firm with the mission of connecting K-12 schools and community-based non-profits.
- Developed curriculum with a highly interdisciplinary approach for clients including PBS, Corbis Corporation, a performing arts center, and a hunger-relief non-profit
Stamats Communications, Cedar Rapids, IA, 1996-1997
Microsoft Corporation, Bothell, WA, 1993-1996
- Edited three newsletters related to different aspects of higher education, including non-traditional students, race and equity, and funding. Oversaw web site redesign.
- Served as editorial lead on three consumer products for Microsoft. Directed procurement and placement of hundreds of historical images, caption generation, and integration of text with other product elements.
- M.A., English Literature / University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1989
- B.A., English with minors in French, Art History, and Religious Studies / Summa Cum Laude / University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, 1988
- Teaching Certification, emphasis on high school-level English / Thesis topic: “The Effects of Single Gender Classrooms on Girls’ Education” / Antioch University, Seattle, WA, 1991
- Yoga Teacher Training
- 500-RYT, Acharya program, 2017
- 200-RYT, Kripalu Center for Yoga, 2010
RECENT TRAININGS ATTENDED
- Sojourn Summer Institute / Led by Michael Rohd in collaboration with the Center for Performance & Civic Practice / Goodman Theatre, Chicago, IL, July, 2016
- Fully Alive: Unveil Yourself Through Mindfulness, Yoga, and Dance / With Jovinna Chan (I served as an assistant to this program.) / Esalen Institute, Big Sur, CA, May 2016
- Acharya Intensive / With Devarshi Steven Hartman and Jovinna Chan / Various locations, 2016-2017
- Soul Motion: Pause, Presence / With Vinn Marti / Oakland, CA, November 2015
- Write to Change the World / With the Op-Ed Project / Chicago, IL, December, 2014
- Therapeutic Yoga for Healing / With Cheri Clampett / One Yoga, Minneapolis, MN, March, 2013
A full list of publications and presentations is available on request.